Sunday, April 25, 2010

With a head full of metal and a heart full of gratitude, I am...



RUNNING WITH A PURPOSE...PLEASE HELP ME
Hi Everyone! Don’t be alarmed: the bold print is for my benefit. Yes, my sight remains an issue. The progress is slower and more subtle than I'd like, but I have moved forward, in so many important ways! Aside from feeling remarkably blessed, I feel wonderful and very strong! We've all adjusted well. Even Harper's getting used to mommy walking into her and knocking her over! She doesn't look up at me with a shocked look on her face anymore! Hooray! Progress!!

Once my doctors gave me the thumbs-up to start running again, I decided to continue our tradition of participating in the Fargo marathon, May 22nd. Little did I realize how much endurance and muscle-mass I had lost while recovering. Needless to say, I sucked air for months. But, I am so excited to report that Drew and I are still (somewhat) upright, upbeat and closing in on the last few weeks of our training. I'll be running with a wing-man on my right side, to avoid getting hurt or hurting anyone who enters my blind spots. Please don't be alarmed, if you spot me on the course and I'm sobbing. Every milestone brings tears of joy and celebration. So, unless I indicate I need one, don't call the medics. :) It's weird, but I'm just celebrating...

Along the miles, each step I take will be for a purpose. I want to remember and honor those who have suffered or died from a brain aneurysm.

I am running this year’s Fargo marathon for them. And, I am running in an attempt to raise money and awareness for brain aneurysm research and cutting edge treatment options for brain aneurysms, insuring the very best care for patients and their families.

PLEASE HELP ME MAKE A DIFFERENCE. PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING A TAX-DEDUCTICLE CHARITABLE DONATION TO:

www.healtheast.org/foundation/foundation-donation.html and click on the link: National Brain Aneurysm Center & St. Joseph’s Neurosciences Fund to donate. Please specify “In honor of Kathleen Wrigley,” just so I can send a proper thank you!

Also, if you know of anyone who has passed away or suffered from a brain aneurysm, please email me their name and a picture, so I can honor them.

And, if you're in town on May 21 @ 5:30 pm, stop by the Fargodome for the pasta feed. I am one of the speakers that evening. I'm quite sure I was still sedated when Mark Knutson, the race director, asked me to share my journey! Gulp! Friendly faces in the crowd would be a treat! I will have a slide show scrolling behind me with the names and faces of my fellow brain aneurysm friends!

Finally, your prayers and friendship have comforted us and carried us through some really dark moments and we are more grateful than we can describe. Some of our biggest blessings are seen through our toughest battles, and through the dust, our family has witnessed beautiful, kind acts that are imprinted in our memories and on our hearts forever.

With a grateful heart and a brain full of medal, I thank you!
And, with love &, of course, tears of joy always,
Kathleen (my turn: on behalf of Drew, Quinn, Patrick and Harper)

PS check out our blogs at: www.fargomarathon.com (click on the featured runners, and click on our pictures. Drew's a lame blogger and doesn't have many entries. :) Also, go to www.onthemindsofmoms.com to read some of the articles I've written along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment